I am amazed at how many people I know think that having a bowel movement every other day is normal! Or easily dismiss bloating, gas and indigestion as something that everyone deals with. It doesn't have to be that way!
- Our gut health affects our mood. Our vagus nerve, which travels from our gut to our brain, signals that "gut feeling" to our brain. So the more inflammation our gut has, the more anxious and depressed we are going to feel.
- 70% of our immunity is in our gut. Imbalanced bacteria depletes our immune systems and leads to so many conditions.
- Our skin is a direct reflection of our gut. The healthier and more balanced our gut biome is the clearer our skin will be.
How to support a healthy gut:
- Limit sugars which are inflammatory, feed yeast and other bacteria in the gut.
- Processed foods are full of preservatives, chemicals and food dyes. These increase inflammation, irritation and discomfort
- Probiotics replenish good bacteria and help balance the gut biome. Anyone can benefit from them! Fermented food such as kefir, kombucha, sauerkraut are all good ways to get probiotics in your diet. Or you can take a probiotic instead.
- Often gluten is a hidden trigger for inflammation and gut irritation. Try eliminating gluten for several weeks and notice what changes you experience with your gut health.
- A digestive enzyme can be helpful for absorption of our nutrients so out body has what it needs and can function better. Digestive enzymes also ease digestive discomfort from gas and bloating.